Christmas Gifts: A Pocketknife

As I was leaving to go out of town for an important training seminar, I asked a friend what he thought I should add next to my emergency kit.  Without hesitation, he asked if I had a good knife in my kit.  I bought a nice pocketknife on that trip as a souvenir, all stainless with a single locking blade and a clip.  And I have used it a million times since.

When I was young (but not too young, of course), I received my first pocketknife from my dad as a gift on a camping trip.  I promptly lost it, but only because I insisted on carrying it everywhere with me and eventually misplaced it.  I still love that purple knife, and I'm certain someone on your list could love a pocketknife, too.  Here are a few ideas to get you started.

Penknife - Fitting easily in a pocket this tiny blade can handle delicate work. This knife was originally designed to sharpen a quill pen, giving its name.  A penknife is one of many styles of slipjoint knives.  Other styles have distinctive names like Barlow, Congress, and Stockman. Each having a specific number and style of blades and tools.  A slip joint allows the blade to hold open for light use, only closing with moderate pressure but containing no locking mechanism.

Multi-tool - Most styles and uses of multi-tool knives are known by their brands and/or manufacturers.  The Victorinox Swiss Army or Leatherman Super Tool are two popular brands and styles you may instantly recognize.  But there are many brands and options available.

Specialty knives -These may contain special applications for a certain hobby (like a whittler) or job (like an electrician).

Concerns - In today's security conscious environment, I'm sure that some of you are surprised that I've even suggested a pocketknife as a gift.  I say, Use common sense.  Don't give a knife to someone who shouldn't have a knife.  Don't give a knife to a child without their parent's prior approval.  Don't take a knife where security is a concern.  (For example, don't take a knife to a courthouse, any other government building, a concert, a ballgame, an airport, or a school.)  Research and know the local rules.  Sometimes blades over three inches or locking blades are restricted, but smaller blades are allowed as a tool.

Related Posts
Everyday Providence's Twelve Days of Christmas
Day 1 - Flashlights and Batteries
Day 2 - Water
Day 3 - Pocketknife
Day 4 - Smoke Detectors 
Day 5 - Generator
Day 6 - Backpack

No comments:

Post a Comment