Can I take a "sick day"?


At our house, everything stops when I am sick.  Laundry, cleaning, cooking... everything.  Of course, I try to stay healthy, exercise, eat right, wash my hands, but when the germs win the fightI am out of commission.  Cue the emergency meals.  I have carefully stocked my pantry in advance with a few inexpensive, easy to prepare, family-friendly meals for just such an occasion.  I strive to buy things that require no more preparation than boiling water and stirring.  And maybe, if I'm lucky, someone else will boil the water and stir.

A few favorites at our house:

Macaroni and cheese with the foil cheese pouch (no milk or butter or measuring required)
Your family's favorite canned pasta (ravioli, o's etc)
Frozen lasagna or other entrees
Frozen chicken nuggets and a frozen vegetable
Baked Beans with hotdogs

You can always compliment these meals with a simple salad (greens and dressing) and a frozen dessert (ice cream sundaes), if that completes the meal for your family.  I write on the cans, bottles, and boxes with a permanent marker that these are "emergency" supplies, so no one inadvertently sucks down my soda or snacks on my chicken nuggets.  I need those things to be there when I need them.

I also keep a couple of cans of my favorite chicken noodle soup, a box of plain crackers, a bottle of lemon-lime soda, and an electrolyte sports drink.  (And a spare box of tissues and cold medicine, but that's another post.)  There is nothing worse than having to run to the store when you are feeling sick (and it's even worse dragging a sick kid to the store), so I try to avoid that with a bit of planning.  

You can take two minutes right now and add a few items to your shopping list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment