Catching the Brass Ring

Any of you ridden a carousel that allowed you to grab at a brass ring?  If you catch it, you get a prize.  I'll admit that I've never had the opportunity to experience this myself, but the metaphor of the brass ring has graced our culture since it's advent in the 1800s.  We all have brass rings hanging out there on this carousel of life.  In my own life, I consider brass rings as those take-it-or-leave-it moments and once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. 

And there lies the struggle I've experienced lately.  I cannot enjoy the ride for what it is and grab for the brass ring.  That wooden horse leaping up and dipping down, the joyous organ music, the breeze on my face, the twinkling lights, and the colorful pageantry all beg me to live in the moment and let my thoughts go.  But that ring entices me to reach out and grab for it, sacrificing the ride, hoping for something bigger and better.  Which is better the ride or the prize?  What if I miss the ride and the prize? 

I love metaphors. (It's a place where my geeky and artsy qualities collide.) But this one is both perfect and twisted.  I don't have answers, sorry, and by now you may be asking what this has to do with Everyday Providence. Well... to me it's about balance.  Preparing for the best mustn't get in the way of living today - enjoying what's here right now.  Many people get lost in worrying about the what ifs of life and miss today.  The people, the places, and the opportunities right here, right now, right in front of you may well be that "best" you are preparing for. 

This summer, take advantage of the moments you are given to enjoy, but don't forget to put a little aside for tomorrow, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment