- Some children are not allowed to attend school because shoes are required and they do not own a pair.
- Every day, other children walk miles to school or to carry water in bare feet, risking injury.
- Several types of parasites enter the body through the feet, including hookworms and certain fleas. Some of these parasites can actually cause cognitive impairment.
- One disfiguring foot and leg disease, called Podoconiosis, is completely treatable and preventable by wearing shoes.
- Join Us on April 10 for One Day Without Shoes to bring awareness to this worldwide problem.
- Donate to organizations that provide shoes (and other needs) for children. (Toms, the company that sponsors this event, highlights organizations they work with here on their blog.)
- Prepare your emergency kit and/or go-bag includes a pair of shoes to keep your feet safe and sound in case a disaster catches you barefoot.