A variety of styles and functions are available, but don't get bogged down in the details. If you need help, call your local fire department (or email me here and I'll send you some informative links).
- A smoke detector with a 10 year lithium battery life means you'll be protected (without changing the battery) until 2021.
- A "hush" button temporarily stops buzzing during a false alarm.
- Lighting models indicate the pathway during a power outage, heavy smoke or dark conditions.
- Tamper-proof models do not allow the battery to be removed.
- Dual sensor alarms detect smoke by the photo-electric and ionization methods. Detecting different types of fires - fast and smoldering.
- Combination smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) detectors step up your home's safety even further.
- Child awakening alarms use pre-programmed voice alerts to warn residents of danger and what to do. Children, especially those under five, are more likely to sleep through common beeping alarms.
- Wireless communicating alarms can activate all the alarms in the house when any one detects smoke, giving you a head start to safety.
- Battery, hard-wired and plug-in options let you pick exactly where your alarms need to go.