In an emergency four eyes are always better than none

I am blessed to be fairly functional without my glasses. I've even arrived at work more than once without them. I do need mine for reading, fine detail and computer work. My husband, on the other hand, can't do anything without his. A long term loss of our glasses and we'd both be sunk.

People frequently lose and break their glasses (or contacts) in regular situations, but in a disaster setting there are many paths that lead to excess squinting and worse. In a medium or large scale disaster (storm or earthquake for example) victims can be isolated for three or more days, and local businesses and services may be closed for a week or more if utility or transportation interruptions occur. One hour glasses (or even just your eye doctor's office) may not be available for a week or more. But you can prepare for this sort of difficulty by keeping a second pair of glasses around.  It's an easy affair. Here are a few ideas how.
  • My own prescription changes just a small amount each year. I ask my optometrist if my old pair are a suitable back up pair. If he says yes, I put those in my go bag and I'm good to go. 
  • If my old frames or lenses are damaged or when my prescription jumps too much to use last years pair, I take advantage of a promotional price or replacement compromise. Last year's frames with new lenses. Last years lenses in replacement frames. Buy one, get one frames. Deeply discounted (possibly less aesthetic) clearance frames. Whatever works! 
  • You could also consider buying a second frame specifically for your go-bag, and then having the lenses replaced each year as needed. Go-bag frames might be selected to be more durable and impact resistant. 
  • Concerning contacts, my husband wears weekly disposables. If he intends to wear contacts in an emergency or evacuation scenario, we ought to set aside one or two pairs of contacts and ample contact care supplies. (We haven't, yet!) But I still believe that the spare glasses must be the primary back up. Smoke, dust, wind, fumes and injury might prohibit wearing contacts in an emergency situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment